Reserve Rights tokenomics¶
Current circulating supply: 42,302,323,974 RSR
(last updated 2022-07-29)
Reserve Rights (RSR) has a fixed total supply of 100 billion tokens, out of which there are currently 42.3b in circulation. The remaining 57.7b RSR tokens are locked. Out of these, 49.4b tokens belong to the Slow Wallet and 8.3b to seed investors, strategic partners, team members & advisors.
The Slow Wallet is a locked wallet controlled by the Reserve project, used to fund RToken adoption initiatives like listings, partnerships, marketing, etc. It's under the discretionary control of the Reserve team. However, it has a hard-coded 4-week delay after initiating each withdrawal transaction on the blockchain. Upon initiating a withdrawal transaction, the team announces the purpose of the withdrawal either through a public on-chain message or on social media. If RSR holders do not agree with the purpose of the withdrawal, they are able to sell their RSR in the 4-week period before the project is able to sell what they have withdrawn. The team can only access these withdrawn tokens after those 4 weeks.
3.2b tokens that are not part of the Slow Wallet (owned by seed investors, strategic partners, team members & advisors) are currently locked and will be progressively unlocked through the Option 2 unlocking (the tokens that were part of Option 1 have been fully unlocked since July 2022). More information about these unlocking options can be found below.
Reserve Rights release schedule¶
As announced in our 2021 year-end update, all locked RSR holders received two options for unlocking their RSR. Initially there was only one option, but after the Reserve community expressed concerns about the particular unlocking schedule, we started thinking about ways for how we could improve it - which led to the new option.
Since the original schedule was contractually agreed on, we couldn't simply change it. Instead, we designed a new unlocking option and gave each locked RSR holder the choice between that new option or the original unlocking schedule.
There’s a lot of relevant background info that we’d love for you to know about, so we recommend watching the video below where Reserve CEO Nevin Freeman goes into all the details:
The summary below shows the details of each unlocking schedule, as well as an estimation of what % of locked RSR holders chose each option.
This is the new option that was proposed to all locked RSR holders in Dec 2021. Here is a short summary of what this new option entails (please see the video above for all the details):
- Instead of RSR tokens unlocking upon mainnet launch, tokens will begin unlocking linearly in January 2022 over the course of 6 months.
- But... these tokens won’t really be unlocked, since they will still be in Reserve’s custody.
- If RSR holders wish to sell any of their RSR tokens, they can submit their request, and can only sell tokens through one connected OTC desk.
- This OTC desk will match sell orders with OTC buys and will limit selling on exchanges to about 3% of the real daily trading volume, in order to limit impact on the price of RSR.
- After six months, the RSR holders who choose to go for this option will then directly receive all tokens they did not decide to sell.
Here's a breakdown of the amount of RSR held by locked RSR holders that have chosen to unlock their tokens via option 1:
- Reserve team members: 12.6b RSR (99.7% of this group)
- Advisors, Contractors and Partners: 5.0b RSR (94.4% of this group)
- Investors: 10.3b RSR (77.7% of this group)
This is the original unlocking schedule. Here is a summary of what this unlocking option entails:
- On the day mainnet launches, 10% of the holder's locked tokens will be unlocked at once.
- After that, the remaining 90% will be distributed linearly over the following six months.
Here's a breakdown of the amount of RSR held by locked RSR holders that have chosen to unlock their tokens via option 2:
- Reserve team members: 34.6m RSR (0.3% of this group)
- Advisors, Contractors and Partners: 299.4m RSR (5.6% of this group)
- Investors: 2.9b RSR (22.3% of this group)
Here's a breakdown of how much RSR held by locked RSR holders will be unlocked for each option:
- Option 1: 28.0b RSR (89.5%)
- Option 2: 3.2b RSR (10.5%)
The following chart displays an estimated timeline of when RSR will be unlocked via option 1 ("restricted unlocking") and option 2 ("unrestricted unlocking"):